“No longer just an interesting add-on, video has become an important feature for anyone concerned with SEO, conversion rates, or brand recognition.”
– Rob Toledo, Shutterstock
Following are four key SEO (Search Engine Optimization) metrics outlining how to boost search engine rankings by using video in your marketing strategy.
1. Videos Rank in SERPs (Search Engine Results Page)
Web pages with video are 53 times more likely to rank on the first page of search results.1
Best practices for video SERP:
- Keep Your Video Short: engagement rates fall after 4-5 minutes.
- Transcribe Script: transcribed text helps the search engines crawl your content for relevance.
2. Videos Increase CTR (Click-Through-Rate)
Search results with video have a 41% higher CTR than plain text.2
Best practices for high CTR:
- Embed Video Directly to Your Website: ex: on a landing page with a clear call to action.
- Add Rich Video Snippets: entice your readers into clicking with an engaging preview.
3. Videos Encourage Visitors to Engage Longer
Visitors who view video on your website stay two minutes longer and are 64% more likely to purchase.3
Best practices to reduce bounce rate:
- Embed Video “Above the Fold”: the line where you scroll to see additional content.
- Use Accurate Video Titles: don’t deceive users with sensationalized headlines.
4. Videos Build Links
People like video. A video will almost triple the average number of linking domains, leading to stronger search rankings for your own website.4
Best practices for link-building:
- Focus Videos on a Single Topic: niche videos get shared.
- Create High Quality Video: make videos that offer something useful to the viewer.
Video marketing will improve the way you approach SEO. Supplement your marketing strategy with video and watch your website’s search rankings climb the charts.
Source: Shawn Forno, IdeaRocket; Studies by: (1) Forrester; (2) aimClear; (3) One Comcore; (4) Moz